Monday, August 10, 2009

review time

So, it seems my blogs lately have all been about the pregnancy and impending delivery.  I decided to throw in something a little different to spice it up a bit.  Don't get too excited.  It's not really that spicy, just different.  

Chad and I have had a lot of late nights lately where I am too exhausted to do anything but sit and be mindless for awhile.  Since we don't have cable, and can now only get a few channels thanks to the digital switch (yes, we have a digital antenna, but several of the stations still skip or don't show up at all), we have been renting a few movies here and there.  So, I've decided to let you in on some good ones we've seen recently:

1- Seven Pounds.  Excellent movie.  However, I'm not going to include a link for more info on this one because I think it's best to go into not having a clue what's going on.  That's how we did it and although it was a little confusing at first, it really got us hooked.  I will warn you, however, that although we really liked this movie, it may lead some to think that it's glorifying suicide.  I don't think that's the point, but I thought I'd raise the flag before someone beat me to it.

2 - Marley and Me.  I thought this was going to be a kid's movie much like "Beethoven," so I wasn't too excited to rent it since I've definitely seen my share of kids movies lately.  However, it was almost more of a "couples" movie because it traveled through the lives of a couple from marriage to raising kids, with the dog woven through it all.  I did shed some tears, but it also made me want to go out and get a dog like my old pal Buford.  If only I could just resurrect him... although that may be a little creepy...

3 - Defiance.  Good movie.  Not super awesome like I was led to believe, but good nonetheless.  It's a true story of a group of Jews in Nazi Germany that hide out in the woods during the holocaust.  I liked it because it wasn't very disturbing like most holocaust movies, although I know those are good to see too, I just would rather not be disturbed right now.  And although there was some violence, it was done in good taste.

4 - Bride Wars.  Yes, Chad actually sat through this one with me.  It was cute.  Of course, not real deep, just entertaining and fun.  Although it led me to wonder if ALL couples live together before marriage now, or what?  It certainly seems to be the trend in most movies now.  Luckily, the movie wasn't about their love lives, mostly about their friendship and had some great comedy.

And just so you don't think my mind is total jello, I've also been doing some reading here and there.  So, here are a few books that I recommend:

1 - Riven, by Jerry Jenkins.  My dad lent this to me when I was staying with them a few weeks ago.  It really grabs you.  I had a hard time putting it down, although I had to with 2 small children running around.  But it was great for reading at night when I couldn't sleep.  Of course I won't tell you the ending, but I will say I wasn't too sure how I felt about it.  It was a different ending than I expected, which is maybe a good thing?  I don't know... the jury's still out on that one.  But the whole of the book was definitely great.

2 - Same Kind of Different as Me, by Ron Hall & Denver Moore.  Again, wonderful book.  This is a true story about a modern-day slave (yes, there really is/was such a thing) and a wealthy art dealer and how their lives become woven together.  Very interesting.  Thanks to my brother-in-law Scott for getting this for me for Christmas.  I read it during my first trimester of this pregnancy when I was puking my guts up.  Oh, memories...

The next book on my list is Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.  However, it has been on hold at the library forever and I just can't bring myself to actually buy it.  Especially now with the baby coming and not knowing when I'll ever have the chance to read again.  But when and if I ever do get around to it, I'll promise to include a review.  I'm sure you'll all be anxiously waiting 'til then.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I haven't seen any of those movies but they all sound good -- I'm especially interested in that Defiance one, I've always been intrigued by the Holocaust and that might be one Dave and I could enjoy together, as opposed to Bride Wars -- which I totally also want to see! That book Riven sounds interesting too, I really like Jerry Jenkins so I might have to give it a try!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Buford....aww. (tear).
Memories :)

peter marie said...

I really liked 7 lbs too! But dude, you totally gave away the ending. :) I didn't know what it was about at all so and even though I could tell what was coming, it still suprised me a bit. Talk about total sacrifice. Hmmmm.....maybe a lot more of a "christian" theme than actual "christian" movies, eh?

Praying that baby flips!

une autre mère said...

Okay, Miss Peter Marie... if you didn't know in the first few minutes what was going to happen at the end, then I feel sorry for you. (Because he actually SAYS, "Someone just committed suicide - it's me.") :)

une autre mère said...

Okay, maybe I was a little harsh with my last comment. I hope you know I was just being my brash, sarcastic self. :)

And yes, I do think that it could have a "christian" theme running through it as well... even though I don't think God promotes suicide, He did sacrifice Himself on the cross for us all, which He could've stopped at any time. Very interesting...

peter marie said...

HA! That's funny. I totally forgot about that phone call!! Duh, me. I was just suprised at how it all went down I guess.
Oh, and I like your sarcastic self.