Saturday, October 31, 2009

tricks for eats

Q:  What do you call a deer with no eyes?
A:  No eye deer.


Don't get it?  Well, now say it out loud and pretend you have a southern accent.  
Wait for it..... got it?  Pretty funny, huh?


Q:  What do you call a deer with no eyes or legs?
A:  STILL no eye deer.


Hee, hee.
That's just a smidgen of the jokes I heard at my house last night.



Not until I married a non-Iowan did I realize that other states don't have the same trick or treat tradition that I grew up with.  First of all, we don't trick or treat on Halloween, we do it the night before and we call it "beggar's night."  And when I was little we had to be prepared with a good joke to tell or trick to perform before we got our candy.  My husband thought this was all a little strange, but it does have some good history.  This friend posted this article on her blog explaining the whole history, so I'll just let you read it instead of explaining it all to you. 


And here are my little tricksters:

Please notice Addie's "feet."  It took awhile to make these little legs and her dress covered most of them up.  And Millie's antennae wouldn't stay up.  But they were still pretty stinkin' cute.

Strike a pose.



And yes, we have taught Tate to levitate.



And incase you were thinking a couple of these costumes looked a little familiar, you're right.  Here's Adeline and Emilia two years ago.  What can I say, I'm a cheap thrifty mama!



Happy Reformation Day!  That is the holiday we're celebrating, right?  
*wink*

4 comments:

Following The Fosters said...

awh! i love their costumes! tate looks so cute as a little pea in a pod!

Amy Kramer said...

As always, your kids are adorable.
And those jokes are TOTALLY funny. I just told them to Keith, too.
So did you have a party at your house last night?? Hmm... thanks for the invite... :(

peter marie said...

I actually think maybe it's more a a central Iowa thing to tell jokes. We certainly didn't do it in NW Iowa! I had no idea why kids were telling us jokes the first year we handed out candy. This year a little boy played me his saxaphone. Pretty sweet!

Your kiddos look adorable!! Glad everyone is feeling better too.

Amy@My Front Porch said...

As a non-native-Iowan I have to say the whole tell-a-joke-beggars-night thing still baffles me :) If I have time, I'll have to read that article.

And the kiddos...adorable!

By the way, love the new design you're working on!