Thursday, January 14, 2010

the milk is hiding...

in EVERYTHING!

Seriously.  Most of the foods I eat contain dairy (which could be the cause of my ever-growing "dairy-air"...)  Pun intended.

So why am I just noticing this dairy-craze I have?

Because Tate has become fussy.

And gassy.

And spitting up All. The. Time.

This all just came about around Christmas when he turned 4 months.  Before then he was the perfect model of a perfect baby.  Happy, giggling, never even needed a burp rag.

Then BAM.

It all changed.

He's still super sweet and tries to be happy.  But when he fusses I can tell that he's uncomfortable and the constant spitting-up has been nearly unbearable.

So, I thought I would try to give up dairy for a week and see if that helped my little man.

But in my giving-up-dairy venture, I've had a few hiccups.

For instance, the other night we were out running errands and decided since it was Taco Tuesday, we'd pick up some tacos.  And I ordered a burrito with potato oles and chicken.  No dairy, right?  WRONG!  Little did I know that cheese would be dumped over the entire inside of my "milk-free" burrito.

Then for breakfast, instead of my usual cereal with milk or a tall glass of chocolate milk, I opted for a banana and toast.  Except after the toast entered my mouth I realized that I had slathered BUTTER all over it.  But how can I avoid butter?  Seriously!  Does that really count as a dairy product?

But I've been trying hard.  Very hard.  My favorite snacks include yogurt, cheese, and chips with dip.  None of these are acceptable this week.  So I ventured out to Target to get a few new snacks - my favorite being Blue Corn Tortilla Chips with salsa verde.  And the salsa verde is really spicy, making me drink tons of water, so that's good for the ol' milk supply too!

So, I'm trying to decide if I hope this helps Tate or not.

I really don't want to have to give up dairy.  I heart dairy.

But I love my baby more.  Much more.  And I don't want him to be uncomfortable.

So I guess we'll just see where this little experiment leads us.

I'll keep ya posted.

Until then, enjoy this sweet little picture of my handsome little man, taken by my 4-year old on her new Hello Kitty camera.

10 comments:

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

I'd have a hard time giving up dairy too......i dont think butter counts...you could do toaster waffles for bfast??

Following The Fosters said...

have you tried any of the mylicon (sp?)gas drops they sell at like target or anywhere? i used them with ben when he was really gassy and it seemed to help. hope the milk thing works...you could always have soy versions of yogurt and milk!

Following The Fosters said...

ok for the record i meant i used the gas drops on ben...not me! haha

Qu'est-ce que c'est? said...

I don't know if I could do it. Other than bread, cheese and yogurt rule this country. LOL. Cute picture. The 6-yr-old over here just received a Hello Kitty camera from Santa...I bet it was the same one. Bisous.

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I had to try that for awhile when Lily was really little, and you're right, it is HARD! Thankfully, that didn't seem to be the problem -- but I think we figured out that I was actually getting too much fiber. Maybe that could be part of it? Hope you're able to figure it out soon!

Emily said...

Impossible! You should win a prize for being such a devoted mom...as for me, I don't think I could do it. Good luck!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Poor Tate! With Cloe, I had to avoid dairy, wheat, citrus, and tomatoes...almost impossible! I hope the dairy-free diet helps!

Unknown said...

Oh you poor poor thing. I said not 10 minutes ago that my 2 favorite things are cheese and chocolate. I heart them so much. I do love dairy (mostly cheese). Just remember that in only months, he'll be chugging down a big old cup of whole fat milk....and you will be, too!

Jenny said...

Chocolate soy milk is a pretty durn good alternative to chocolate milk...I took about six months to switch over to soy milk and chocolate was the first step I took and it was quite delicious.

Earth Balance makes a soy-based butter that really does taste like butter, and I've been able to find it in grocery stores.

Cheese is cheese and really can't be substituted. Can't help ya there!!!

Jenn said...

Yeah, no milk for a year, right here. It was hard at first because I ate several things of yogurt a day, my quick snack was toast with melted cheese, my diet consisted of dairy. And Andy loves cheese on everything. No cheese takes all the joy out of Mexican food. I just stayed away. It got a little easier after I found things I could eat. Butter doesn't usually count but it would depend on how sensitive he is to it if in fact it is dairy. If you make things you can use soy milk, though I don't really endorse soy because I don't think it is good for you.
My pediatrician said to crush up lactaid pills and give them to Dane before he nursed. It did seem to help. Then I switched to digestive enzymes from my chirpractor, which also helped.
And now... too much dairy seems to bother me. bummer. It's totally worth it to have a happy baby.