Sunday, July 11, 2010

our 2nd honeymoon - part one

So, did you guess where we are from my last post?

 I hope so.  I tried to give you a pretty good hint.

Yup.  We're in Colorado!

We traveled through Nebraska Friday evening and made it to Fort Morgan, CO that night.  Those of you who have traveled through Nebraska know what a LONG drive that is!  Unless you enjoy staring over vast nothingness for hours on end.  (And yes, this is even coming from an Iowa girl.)  Thankfully, we had a good audiobook to listen to that helped us survive.

Saturday morning we drove through Denver down to Colorado Springs to take in the Garden of the Gods, or as we like to call it, "God's Garden."  ;)  
One word - AMAZING!

This is one of the big, jutting rocks.  I'm sure it had a name, but I don't remember it right now.

Chad found a big rock too!

So he climbed to the tippy top.
Yes, he is above the clouds here.  
How did I get this picture?  Ummm... I was hang-gliding next to him...

After seeing several super cool rocks, we set out on a journey to find the big Siamese Twins.
Can you find me in this picture?  500 points if you do!

Yes, it was such a long and treacherous journey that Chad even got poked by some of the local fauna.
We don't have those pokey things in Ioway.

Where are those Siamese Twins anyways?!?

Oh, there they are.
Cool, huh?  I think God's quite the sculptor.

Thankfully there were nice people around willing to take pictures of us.

We were about to leave when we found this rock about to tip over.
Don't worry.  Chad saved the day and balanced it on his finger.  It's now called Balanced Rock.

From there we headed up to Vail where we'll be staying for the week.  It is so spectacular here!  Today there was a farmer's market in downtown Vail (which we're in good walking distance to).  And tonight we're taking in dinner with a cabaret.  Should be entertaining!

Oh, and are you wondering if I miss these guys?

LIKE CRAZY!!!
But I know they're having lots of fun with Nana and Papa B. this week, who graciously offered to stay at our house and take care of them.  Thanks Nana and Papa!!!  Plus, we get to see them on video chat at night, which is wonderful!

6 comments:

peter marie said...

You are poking out of the branches of the bigger tree just to the left of the center of the photo.
I'll take my 500 points in cash, please.

Looks like an amazing time!!!
Have a fun week!!

Unknown said...

We had a blast at "Garden of the Gods" too. I thought it was cool that they randomly evolved 16 billion years ago. I wonder who was there to see that happen.
A lot of our pictures are of the same uber-cool rocks. Looks like you're having a blast! Keep on having fun. Oh, and if you find Seth's turqouise thermos-cup, will you please bring it back to Iowa for us?
Miss you guys tons!

Amy Kramer said...

I found you! :)
You guys are such a cute couple. Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a great time!!!

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Man, I can't believe Abby beat me to the 500 points. Actually, I'm old and I just could not find you for the life of me! Glad I'm friends with some smart whipper snappers who still have good eyes!
That tipping rock...Cody tipped that when we were there in college--spring of '98. He's so crazy strong! It was super impressive! :)
Have a wonderful time! I love Colorado! Keep the pictures rolling...well, just the scenic ones!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I agree, the drive to Colorado is exruciatingly boring -- it makes Ankeny look like mountainous terrain :)

I had to look reallly hard but I found you in that picture -- too bad Abby beat me to the punch :)

And the Garden of the Gods is amazing! My family took a vacation there when I was in high school and my brother and I took a picture next to that same rock that Chad is "balancing" on his finger :)

Enjoy the rest of your vacay!

H-Mama said...

Those rock formations are amazing. Colorado is beautiful, and those pix of the 2 of you are adorable. The pic of your 3 little sweeties? Precious!!! Love the yellow.