Tuesday, November 9, 2010

goin' skinny...

I said I'd never do it.

My husband begged me never to do it.

But the more I saw it, the more it kinda grew on me.

I decided I did want to do it after all.

My husband caved and decided I was a big girl and could do what I wanted.

He said he trusted me to do it right.

So I did it.

I bought my first pair of "skinny jeans."
How could I resist with a great sale at Target plus a $3 off coupon?!?


I cringed at first when I looked down at my ankles and saw a sight that had been familiar to me in my much younger years.  Could I really pull this off?  I wasn't so sure at first, so my first outing in them, I wore big furry boots to cover them up.  And since I had bought the jeans one size bigger than normal (on purpose - so I could have a little breathing room!), no one was even aware of the bold fashion statement I was sporting.

Yesterday I thought I should try to be a little bolder.  So I headed out to the mall in my skinny jeans, a long sweater (to cover my bum, of course!) and a pair of flats.  I don't even know why I was hesitant about it.  Once I got to the mall, I didn't even remember I was wearing such a "daring" fashion statement.  In fact, I blended in so well with everyone else that I didn't even feel that cool after all.

It made me wonder... How many of you have caved to this fashion trend?  How many of you bought them when they first came out?  Who is still hesitating?  Who thinks I'm so last year?  I'm dying to know!

9 comments:

This Heavenly Life said...

Oh girl. I'm still hesitating! But this is how I do things -- I hem and haw until I finally feel comfortable with a trend, and by the time I jump on the bandwagon, the trend is dead. Give me another 6 months :)

But seriously? You look hot! And good idea buying them a size larger. I never thought of that, but it may make me cave a few months earlier :)

(By the way, my word verification is 'skingod'. Freaky.)

Jenn said...

You're so silly, Katie! God gave you a body built for skinny jeans! My body on the other hand ... not so much. I do have a pair but they don't look like that on me :). Even with the 40 pounds I've said bye-bye to, I'm just not as long as you and definitely curvier. I think they're hot, with or without the furry boots (which sound way cute)!

Lenae said...

Haha, lump me in with Sarah on the post-trend bandwagon. Although mine's not from hesitation; I just have no fashion sense.

I read a great article last week (forgetting the source at the moment...) that argued that fashion really is in the eye of the, uh, wearer ;) Pulling it off is simply a combination of confidence in your choice and that you like it. So if you're liking those skinny jeans: rock it, girlfriend :) (And I think you look great too!)

Julie said...

Umm, you are totally built to wear skinny jeans:) You probably look the exact same as you did in your younger years, maybe different hair though. You may have to go buy some AquaNet to get that exact look:) You look great. And I have a jumped on the skinny jean bandwagon with you.

H-Mama said...

haha... you crack me up. i'm always on the caboose of trends, but after watching far too many episodes of stacy and clinton... well, i knew my body type would not mesh well with skinny jeans. ha!! however, i think you are made for them, yes?! :)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

You know how I feel about them.

:) You look great!

Emily said...

I bought my first pair this year, too, and I love them! I'm surprised by how much I like them, actually. But they balance out blouse-y tops and they tuck so nicely into boots and they look so cute with ballet flats. I totally agree with you: once I started wearing them, I totally forgot about my "daring fashion statement" and just confident and comfy.

What does your husband think? From your picture, you look great!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I like 'em :) I bought my first pair last year but I haven't been brave enough to wear them without boots yet :) You can TOTALLY pull it off though.

Jenny said...

No way man!!! My ghetto booty begs for enough attention withOUT skinny jeans!!! Gimme my Eddie Bauer boot-cuts!!